We are looking for a software developer to join our team. You will work with other Alembic teammates and clients' engineering teams to build user-focussed products. If you love building software, and enjoy the variety and learning opportunities that multiple clients and projects provide, this could be the right position for you.
How we fit together
We're technical consultants and so are you
As consultants, we work closely with our clients. You have great client focus and understanding. You're confident using stakeholder interaction to drive out requirements and help the client prioritise work.
You are a polyglot programmer
You have experience with technologies such as Elixir, Erlang, Ruby, Clojure, Typescript and similar. You have core engineering knowledge of functional programming and object oriented programming, version control, common web technologies, and relational databases. You demonstrate sound knowledge of good software design principles, patterns, approaches and solutions. You pick up new knowledge quickly and demonstrate effective application of it. You like to write clean, readable, tested code that is easily understood by others.
You believe in quality code
You know how to balance your own high standards of code quality with the problems you are solving and external constraints like how time-sensitive it is or the impact it will have. You design sensible approaches to tasks within the project requirements.
You like solving problems
You are happy working through difficult technical problems and solving them in straight-forward ways. If you don’t know the answer immediately, you are comfortable digging into the problem until you either figure it out or know it is time to ask for assistance.
You have strong teamwork skills and are confident working with colleagues and clients
You communicate clearly, concisely and kindly, written and verbally, varying your communication style depending upon the audience.
You're comfortable working remotely by yourself and taking initiative
We work across multiple projects or products simultaneously. You prioritise and manage your own work and time effectively. You're keen to learn new technologies on the job and have a positive approach to change. Your strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills help you apply a methodical approach to issue definition and resolution.
What a typical week might include
You will be responsible for designing and developing back-end web applications, ensuring they operate efficiently and effectively. You will work on projects from conception to final product. In a typical week you might:
- Collaborate with designers, developers, product managers, and clients to understand business goals, analyse requirements, formulate solutions, and ensure the successful execution and delivery of user-focussed applications
- Design, develop, test, verify, deploy, maintain, document, and refactor new and existing features with guidance and support from more experienced engineers (be responsible for the entire lifecycle of your code)
- Identify dependencies and possible risks and share them with the team
- Write tests as well as troubleshoot, debug, and upgrade software
- Participate in code review, pairing, and other forms of knowledge sharing
- Improve the development experience on client projects by enhancing development tools, test coverage, and/or code structure
- Identify and meet technical, client, and user needs